Tuesday, June 20, 2006

Conquering Sunday

"I am feeling bored. What plans for today?" Amar was looking really desperate.
"Well" I said, "We can go for a walk".
"Cool!! Where ??"
"Hmm.. I know this small hill around Ettimadai. I am not sure if we can climb it, but we can sure give it a try."
Amar is my junior. He is a chemical engineer from Pune and loves to go trekking. As with the case with most students from North India, he gets frustrated with spending weekends in the campus.

So off we went, along with a small group of friends to climb a small mountain which we now call "Hill Sunday".
The initial climb was fun.


Then came the difficult part, where you really had to be careful on the rocks. But Amar was having no problem at all.


Although I can't say the same for Ravi


Reaching halfway, we paused for a short break. Amar looked down and saw the plains that extended to Kerala. He turned to me
"Maharashtra is blessed with many forts. It has a lot of hills and its fun to climb.
Look at Kerala, its all plains. Its soo plaiinnn....."
"Yeah" I replied. "We are blessed with an International Airport. So we get to have lot of planes."
I don't know why, but that was the end of our conversation. Everybody soon started climbing away. It must have been something I said.

Prabeesh was the first to reach the top.
Peak of Sunday

Soon all of us got to the top of the hill. Surprisingly, none of us were tired. But we were all happy. Everything looked so beautiful from top. Our college buiding was a tiny spec. All around us were paddy fields and coconut groves. The only thing that I missed was a camera. All photos were taken with a mobile camera. So it all came in poor quality.

The view was breathtaking. It kind of reminds me of what Amma used to say, when your consciousness rise above the mundane things in life, everything looks beautiful; even a boring Sunday.

On top of Hill Sunday

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I wanted to say Amma was wrong. That beautiful is not something you can associate with your job, but then there is nothing that is as mundane as that 'mundaneness'.

ayyo I really want to go for a trek. Damn my whole system is craving for one.

Now my job looks more Mundane. Thank you you made my day, I would ve felt nervous abt going home happy.
(Damn I am reading too much Dilbert this days..;))

-lomax

El Cynic said...

some real nice snaps shiv!!!

The Absurd Adventures of Algernon Featherby

Algernon Featherby, a middle-aged chap with a penchant for tweed suits and a perpetual furrowed brow, returned to his quaint village after a...