Wednesday, July 19, 2006

A lifetime that lasted 2 years



How do you define time? Does it have anything to do with semesters and courses. Is it about timetables and schedules. I have read somewhere that life is measured by the moments that take your breath away. So if I can count those moments (excluding the ones when I saw the question papers during each semester) I think I have lived a lifetime in 2 years.

MTech is over.
All my classmates have left. All that remain are empty rooms and lot of memories. Each time I pass T53 and T55, I force myself to look away. Soon they will have new occupants. Rooms in the PG hostel, unlike me, must be so used to seeing different people each time.

MTech is over.
The rows in the lab beside me are empty. The computer on the far right is shutdown.
Browsing will never be the same again. Never again will the sounds of Umbai emerge from the 7.1 surround. There will be no editing sessions in VideoStudio.

MTech is over.
So are the trips to Coimbaotore/Palakkad in a black esteem. The parking space near the dusty recycling center is empty. There will no longer be frequent drives to the car wash garage. Never again will it go different restaurents with three friends, and never again will it take them to KG Hospital to spend sleepless nights.

MTech is over.
Everybody left their seperate ways. The industry will soon strangle these memories with projects and deadlines. Soon everybody will be in different parts of the world.
As I write this, by sheer co-incidence, my winamp shifts to another song

Varuvanillarumee vijanamameevazhi-
-kkariyaam athennalumennum
Padivaathilolam chennakalathavazhiyake
Mizhipaaki nilkarundallo
Mizhipaaki nilkarundallo

Varummennu chollippirinjupoyillarum
Ariyam athennalumennum
Pathivaayi njaanente padivathilenthino
Pakuthiye chaararullo


6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Life is like an onion; you peel off one layer at a time and sometimes you weep.

Anonymous said...

mr m.tech wud be over let it be, but there will b three friends in this world who can be seprated not in lifetimes but by death, and they will soon find out ways 2 make their lifetimes last more than 2 years.

Anonymous said...

Shiv,
Nice article..Missing my college too ...

Vinod

Shiv said...

@Sok: Nice. I will remember that.

@anonymous: Enneyum kondee pokullu alle ;-)

@Vinod: Thanks. I dont miss college since I joined here... I miss a lot of other things though.

Anonymous said...

reminds me of my college days ....

INBrajan # Inbarajan said...

Hi Shiv ... i do miss the same ....
i felt them same in the hostel, when i recently visited ........

I used to think will be I able to survive without my friends ???
But now ....
I am doing it... leading a fake life ....... without friends all around !!

The Absurd Adventures of Algernon Featherby

Algernon Featherby, a middle-aged chap with a penchant for tweed suits and a perpetual furrowed brow, returned to his quaint village after a...