Sunday, October 08, 2006

You are Faculty!!

"Why can't you come like this everyday?"
My collegue was looking at me with new found respect and appreciation. I had just received my clothes, washed and neatly pressed from the dhobi. So instead of the usual T-shirt and worn out trousers, I was now wearing a dazzling while shirt neatly tucked inside formal cream trousers which was held in place by a black leather belt with a sleek mobile case attached to it.

Its not that I dont like wearing formals, or that I am rebel who is silently protesting against the so called polished folks. My affinity to T-shirts come from the fact that they can be easily washed and there is no need to iron them. Surely, I like to be neatly dressed all the time, but I don't want to put a lot of effort into that.
You see, one dhobi for 3 hostels will always be part of the unbalanced equation of getting clean clothes back on time. He had already misplaced two of my bedsheets and the last time I gave my clothes, I had to wait for ages to get it back. I pleaded with him, scolded him, openly cried in front of him with no shame, but his attitude was as hard as the borewell water he was using to wash clothes. It was only when I threatened to kidnap his son that he returned my clothes.

So here I am in my clothes holding back tears of joy, and this dude here is asking me to come like this everyday. And the reason??? Because I am faculty now. Ever since I joined, I have been hearing this.
"You should not do this. You are a faculty now."
"Try to inhale much and exhale only little. You are a faculty now."
I tried, it was not easy. "I will suffocate to death."
"If you die, they will bury you in the faculty section."

This whole business was driving me nuts until I came across a reebok ad which said
"I am what I am"
I don't know why but this went straight to my heart. I found it to be so interesting that I made it my personal motto. Of course I am a faculty now, but I am Shiv first. This subtle truth flowed through me as rain in the desert and I am peaceful again.

Osho once said: "You can be creative only if you are playful."

2 comments:

PesoBoy's Home said...

I'm Popeye the Sailor Man
I'm Popeye the Sailor Man
I'm strong to the finich
Cause I eats me spinach
I'm Popeye the Sailor Man


:-)
Amar

Anonymous said...

No its not Shiv,
Is it a bird,

No it has a red shawl around his neck..
Is it superman...

Noooooo its..Shiv Man............

The Absurd Adventures of Algernon Featherby

Algernon Featherby, a middle-aged chap with a penchant for tweed suits and a perpetual furrowed brow, returned to his quaint village after a...