Saturday, August 25, 2012

Gayathri v/s Darth Vader

I used to laugh at my friends and cousins who read "Men are from Mars and Women are from Venus."
I remember scoffing and feeling a sense of deep disdain whenever somebody talks about it.

And then I got married.

Don't get me wrong, Gayathri is very sweet and is quite accommodating to my momentary bouts of insanity.(though I can't shake off the feeling of coming closer to getting punched in the face at times...)
But there are times during our conversations, when I really feel that we are on totally different pages.
The most recent incident happened when I downloaded a wallpaper of Darth Vader from the internet. Gayathri has a strong disregard for English films, which I learnt the hard way when I tricked her into seeing "Wrath of the Titans (3D)" in place of "Housefull 2". It was one of those silly mistakes that you always regret, but without which you would have never learnt those searing lessons of life.
 Coming back to Darth Vader, I always wanted to introduce the Star wars universe to Gayathri; but with my current quota on English movies that I am allowed to watch, it will be close to a year before we reach "Return of the Jedi". Being a teacher, I decided to take a fast track approach - familiarize the topic by including star wars references in our daily conversations.
I decided to take it one step further by changing the wallpaper to StarWars characters. Hence the Darth Vader wallpaper.
"Gayathri, this is Darth Vader" I shouted holding up my laptop for my wife to see.
"Who ?" She asked without taking her eyes off the curry she was making for dinner.
"Anakin Skywalker, he bought balance to the force" I replied. The fast track approach, you see..
"He does not have balace?  Must be a problem with his ear." She is still working on the curry.
"No no, you don't understand. Anakin was ..."
"No, I understand perfectly." She cut me off. " My grandmother had this problem of losing balance all the time. We took her to the doctor. He said it was because of the fluid in her inner ear."
"It is not that balance I am talking about. Its the force, light side and dark side... Remember I keep telling you?"
"Bilateral vestibulopathy" She shouts back at me.
"What ?"
"The condition is called Bilateral vestibulopathy". Gayathri is also a biomedical engineer, among other things.
"Aargh... we are talking about Anakin Skywalker. He did not suffer from any condition except severe burns on planet Mustafar." My patience is completely lost now. But I am determined to do this.
"Don't you remember Gayathri ? About everything I told you about young Anakin ?"
I saw her look up from the curry.
"Well, I don't remember exactly!" I could sense a feeling of guilt in her voice. Looks like I can push her to watch the movie today itself.
"Shivetta..." she suddenly called out,
"Did he come for our wedding reception ?" She asked curiously !


No comments:

The Absurd Adventures of Algernon Featherby

Algernon Featherby, a middle-aged chap with a penchant for tweed suits and a perpetual furrowed brow, returned to his quaint village after a...